The Department of Thoracic Surgery at Fortis Hospital is dedicated to the prevention, early diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the chest. We continue to expand treatment options for patients, utilizing minimally-invasive procedures, including video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS), and robotic-assisted technology.
Our surgeons provide state-of-the-art surgical techniques and cancer therapies, with a major focus in research of early diagnosis, better cancer staging, and prediction of recurrent disease in lung and esophageal cancer. We take a multi-disciplinary approach to the treatment lung cancer, esophageal cancer, and other diseases of the chest, so we can streamline the patient experience with all thoracic specialists at Fortis.
All surgeons are full time staff members at Fortis Flt Lt Rajan Dhall Hospital, Vasant Kunj in New Delhi but also provide full time surgical services at Escorts Hospital, Okhla, and Fortis Hospitals at NOIDA, Shalimar Bagh, Karol Bagh and Greater Kailash in New Delhi. They are :
- Dr Sabyasachi Bal, Director
- Dr A Chaudhry, Consultant
- Binant Kaur / Jatin Arora – Physiotherapists
All patients have access to a team of experts from many different fields including specialists from surgery, pulmonary medicine, critical care and ultramodern radiology.
About Dr S Bal– MS (AIIMS),DNB, FRCS
- Dr S Bal is the Director of the department of Thoracic Surgery and Thoracic Surgical Oncology and is assisted by Dr Rakesh Kumar and Dr LM Darlong, both consultants with considerable surgical experience and expertise and a team of dedicated surgical intensivists and pulmonologists, anaesthesiologists, paramedical personnel and physiotherapists.
- Dr Bal, is an alumnus of AIIMS, New Delhi and was, till 2005, an Additional Professor of Surgery and Consultant Thoracic Surgery and Chief of the Lung Cancer and other thoracic malignancies Clinic at his alma mater, the prestigious All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
- He is a former fellow of the internationally renowned Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre at New York and a Senior Registrar at the Royal Marsden Cancer Hospital, London.
- He has trained in Thoracic surgery in AIIMS, New Delhi and in the UK at the South West Regional Thoracic Surgery Unit at Bristol and at the Brompton Chest Hospital, London. He has been a clinical research fellow at University of Leicester, UK in Lung Volume Reduction Surgery for Emphysema; which he has pioneered in India.
- Dr Bal is also one of the pioneers in diagnostic and therapeutic thoracoscopic procedures and today, the department gets referrals from all over North, East and North-East India. He is a member of many surgical societies in India, USA, UK and Japan and has numerous peer reviewed scientific publications and awards to his credit including the Norman Tanner Best Paper Award (Royal Society of Medicine, UK), the Japanese Surgical Society Award in 1996 & 1997, the Varoon Mahajan Fellowship of the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre, New York, USA, the Escorts Raj Nanda Pulmonary Fellowship to Glenfield Hospital, University of Leicester, UK and the Best Paper Award of the Indian Association of Surgical Oncology in 2002.