The Department of Thoracic Surgery at Fortis Hospital is dedicated to the prevention, early diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the chest. We continue to expand treatment options for patients, utilizing minimally-invasive procedures, including video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS), and robotic-assisted technology.
Our surgeons provide state-of-the-art surgical techniques and cancer therapies, with a major focus in research of early diagnosis, better cancer staging, and prediction of recurrent disease in lung and esophageal cancer. We take a multi-disciplinary approach to the treatment lung cancer, esophageal cancer, and other diseases of the chest, so we can streamline the patient experience with all thoracic specialists at Fortis.
Our thoracic surgeons treat the following diseases:
- Lung cancer
- Benign diseases and tumors of the lung
- Chest reconstruction after major trauma or surgery
- Lung volume reduction surgery for emphysema
- Esophageal cancer
- Benign esophageal diseases (including achalasia, benign tumors and strictures)
- Esophageal reconstruction
- Gastroesophageal reflux
- Mediastinal tumors and diseases (including the surgical treatment of myasthenia gravis)
- Pleural diseases (including pneumothorax, infections and pleural effusions)
- Chest wall tumors
- Sympathectomy for hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)
- Plication for diaphragm paralysis/other diaphragmatic disorders
- Tracheal resection or stent insertion for airway narrowing
Emphasis on Minimally Invasive Procedures: Our department lays stress on using Minimally Invasive approaches for resolution of surgical problems. This can be VATS or Robotic Resections. While advising surgery, special efforts are made to preserve organs in the form of organ saving or parenchyma preserving procedures. VATS or video-assisted thoracic surgery is used wherever possible and sleeve resections are preferred over pneumonectomies.At Fortis, we offer surgical options to patients that are not widely available, even in many teaching institutions like AIIMS.